Competency Based Training for Suicide Prevention - December 11, 2021 (Virtual)
Includes a Live Event on 12/11/2021 at 10:30 AM (EST)
- Registration Closed
For an uninterrupted learning experience, please use Google Chrome, Safari or Firefox as your browser. If you use Internet Explorer, you may not be able to view or access parts of this course.*
The Competency Based Training for Suicide Prevention is an interactive educational activity. Leaders in the field of psychiatric-mental health nursing developed the curriculum to improve the knowledge, attitudes, skills, and critical thinking of psychiatric-mental health nurses (PMH-RN) who care for persons at risk for suicide. APNA's Program content is presented by trained facilitators with content matter expertise.
The course focus emphasizes best practices and evidence-based nursing knowledge which has been shown to increase confidence in individual nursing practice and competence in the nursing skills of suicide prevention, assessment, and care management of persons at risk for suicide.
Date: December 11, 2021
Time: 10:30am - 6:30pm (Eastern Time)
In order to participate and earn contact hours, you must arrive on time for the training.
Technology needed to participate in this training:
An internet connection able to support streaming and a desktop computer (preferred), laptop (preferred), or tablet able to support Zoom™ with a camera and audio (built-in audio or a headset) are required for participation. Smaller devices, such as a smart phone, will not meet the course requirements.
Learners’ cameras must be on throughout the live virtual training to ensure active learning and engagement with the content. Active participation in all interactive activities is required to receive credit.
Participating from another time zone? An online time zone conversion site is available here: www.thetimezoneconverter.com.
Additional technical requirements and troubleshooting can be found here.
Target Audience: PMH-RN
Disclosures: The presenters and the activity planners have no conflicts of interest to disclose. Discussion of off-label medication use will not take place during this training.
Learning Outcomes: Upon completion of this presentation, the participant will be able to:
- Discuss the phenomenology of suicide.
- Describe risk and protective factors related to suicide.
- Demonstrate self-awareness of emotional reactions, attitudes, and beliefs related to previous experiences with suicide.
- Perform a suicide risk assessment.
- Develop a collaborative safety plan with the patient/family.
- Perform an environmental safety assessment.
Registration: You will register for the course one time, under one account, using one email address. This account will be used to complete the post-training coursework. You will be prompted to login or create an APNA account. If you already have an APNA account and do not remember the username and password, please contact APNA at 855-863-APNA (2762). Please do not create a new account. New learners can create a username and password at time of registration. Pre-registration is required by November 29, 2021.
Participants who register and complete all requirements of the full training receive:
- 7.0 Nursing Continuing Professional Development Contact Hours.
- Participant Workbook: Includes notes, worksheets, a glossary, resources and more.
- Suicide Prevention Provider Card: Serves as proof of successful completion of the training and passing of skills assessment. Provider card is eligible for renewal upon 3 year expiration.
Nursing Continuing Professional Development:
7.0 contact hours. The Competency Based Training for Suicide Prevention is a nursing education program which includes live facilitator presentation and discussion, case study, post-test, and evaluation of the content. In order to receive nursing continuing professional development contact hours, participants must attend the entire live training and complete all required components of the course. Partial credit will not be awarded. Credit cannot be earned unless all steps below are completed.
Attend the Training:
- Go to apna.org/MyeLearning and log in.
- Click on the training title under "Upcoming Live Events"
- Use the link found in the course Contents tab to join the training by 10:30am ET on December 11.
- Attend the entire training and participate in interactive activities.
After the Training:
- Enter the Completion Code provided at the end of the training.
- Earn a passing score on the online Course Post-Test.
- Complete the online Overall Evaluation and Honor Statement.
- Your NCPD certificate and Suicide Prevention Provider Card will be generated online and available to print immediately after completing the online components.
- All steps MUST be completed prior to 11:59pm Eastern Time January 5, 2022.
The contact hours for this course expire: January 31, 2023
The American Psychiatric Nurses Association is accredited as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
APNA does not issue refunds for the registration cost of the Competency Based Training for Suicide Prevention once the purchase is accomplished. If you are unable to complete the live training per your registration schedule, it may be possible to reschedule your registration for a training that you are able to attend. Further details regarding the cancellation policy are outlined here.
*Internet Explorer is an outdated browser and therefore when using it, APNA eLearning Center courses often will not load or play properly. Because Internet Explorer is still the default browser on many devices, this is the number one issue that impacts learners’ ability to access their courses. For an uninterrupted learning experience, please download and use Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge, Safari, etc. If you continue to experience issues, you may need to update your browser.
Download or print your agenda below.
Technology Needed to Participate in the Training
Read, download, or print the information below.
You will need a desktop computer, laptop or tablet able to support Zoom with a camera and audio (built-in audio or a headset). Be sure that your equipment is fully charged.
- Mac: Mac OSX 10.7 or later
- Windows: Windows 10, 8, 8.1, 7, Vista (SP1 or later), XP (SP3 or later)
- Ubuntu: 12.04 or later
- Linux: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.4 or higher
- Tablet: Click here
Do NOT use Internet Explorer - This is an outdated browser and will not allow proper functionality to access the training
- Use the latest versions of Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Safari, or Firefox as your browser.
- It is recommended to install the latest version of Zoom software in advance.
Preparing your Equipment and Space:
Don’t compete for bandwidth: If you are joining the virtual training from a location with multiple users logged on to the internet, ensure that you are not competing for bandwidth with others in your household. Click here to run a speed test on your internet connection. If your results are 0.30Mbps or lower you may want to contact your Internet Service Provider.
Silence the interruptions: Turn off your phone and exit any programs that might cause notifications to pop up during your presentation (e.g., Outlook, Skype, etc.) Take precautions to ensure that no one will disturb your presentation.
If you are new to Zoom click audio, video, or chat for instructions on using these features. Please note you will access the live course via the link on the Contents tab of the training website in the APNA eLearning Center.
Be on time as partial credit will not be awarded. There will not be a recording available - this is a live event only.
Log in 10-15 minutes early and test your computer sound while in the waiting room.
You must have your camera on throughout the live virtual training to earn NCPD contact hours and a suicide prevention provider card.
- Check APNA’s FAQs – often the answer is here: https://e-learning.apna.org/help.
- Check Zoom Help Center’s Wireless (WiFi) Connection Issues site: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362463-Wireless-WiFi-Connection-Issues.
- Use the on-screen chat bubble for technical questions when in the APNA eLearning Center.
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org Monday through Friday, 7:00am – 5:00pm ET.