Live Virtual MAT 8-Hour Training - Friday, August 14, 2020 (11:00 am-8:00 pm Eastern)
- Registration Closed
For an uninterrupted learning experience, please use Google Chrome, Safari or Firefox as your browser. If you use Internet Explorer, you may not be able to view or access parts of this course.*
Note: This course will expire 30 days from the date of the live virtual presentation. Please complete the all the course requirements within that time frame.
This course is jointly provided by Providers Clinical Support System (PCSS) and American Psychiatric Nurses Association (APNA). The course consists of 8 content topics which are part of the required 24 hours of content for nurses who wish to offer medication assisted treatments for substance use disorders including buprenorphine. This course will be presented in a live virtual format. The final online course post-test, honor statement, overall course evaluation must be completed in order to obtain a certification of completion and an evaluation link for the PCSS web site.
Target Audience: APRN
Learning Outcomes: Upon completion of the course, learners will be able to:
- Identify patients with substance use disorder and discuss medication-assisted treatments.
- Discuss the neuroscience of opioids as it relates to treatment of opioid use disorder (OUD) patients.
- Describe the basics of office-based medication-assisted treatment including the treatment of special patient populations, such as: adolescents, elderly, pregnancy, pain & psychiatric comorbidities.
- Discuss FDA-approved antagonist, partial agonist and agonist medications available to treat OUD.
- Explain the process of buprenorphine induction as well as stabilization and maintenance.
- Discuss general office protocols including medical record documentation and confidentially.
- Apply evidence-based resources when prescribing MAT for patients with OUD.
- Complete 8-hour MAT Course (MDs & DOs) &/or 24-hour MAT Course (APRNs & PAs).
- Apply for a MAT Waiver Training Certificate (DEA-X Waiver).
- Receive DATA-2000 (DEA-X license) to begin prescribing MAT for OUD per prescriber’s state regulations.
Nursing Continuing Professional Development: 8.0 contact hours (of which 8.0 are in pharmacology). In order to receive contact hours for the course, participants must: attend the program in its entirety, earn a passing score of at least 80% on the online post-test, and complete the online honor statement and course evaluation during the allotted 30-day access period. Participants will have 5 opportunities to correctly answer the questions on the post-test. Following completion of the entire live virtual course day, course post-test, honor statement, and course evaluation, a certificate of completion will be generated online, available for immediate printing. Credit will not be earned unless all components of the program are completed. Partial credit will not be awarded. You must be present in the live virtual course environment the entire day.
Keywords: Addictions, MAT Training, Substance Use Disorders
- The course is free of charge and can be accessed by clicking the Register button above. You will be prompted to login with your APNA account. If you do not have an APNA account, select the button, "create an account" and complete the listed information to create a free non-member profile.
- After completing the 8 hour and 16-hour waiver training, return to the PCSS website for information on continuing the waiver process, which is outlined in the below infographic. Detailed DEA waiver instructions are provided via email upon completion of all 24 hours of training. Click here for the "Steps to Obtain Your MAT Waiver" process map.
The American Psychiatric Nurses Association is accredited with distinction as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
Accreditation of this nursing continuing professional development educational activity does not imply endorsement by APNA or ANCC of any commercial products discussed in the context of this activity.
Funding for this initiative was made possible (in part) by grant no. 6H79TI080816 from SAMHSA. The views expressed in written conference materials or publications and by speakers and moderators do not necessarily reflect the official policies of the Department of Health and Human Services; nor does mention of trade names, commercial practices, or organizations imply endorsement by the U.S. Government.
- The APNA nurse planner and members of the APNA planning committee have no financial relationships or conflict of interest to disclose. Dr. Laura Leahy, faculty, is not receiving commercial/pharmaceutical industry or financial support related to this presentation. Faculty has published through American Psychiatric Publishing, Inc. & receives royalties on her text Manual of Clinical Psychopharmacology for Nurses. Faculty receives honoraria as Nurse Consultant for Alkermes’ Meeting the Need Steering Committee. Faculty receives honoraria for educational presentations as a member of the Speakers’ Bureau for: Otsuka, Alkermes and NEOS Therapeutics. Faculty acknowledges their responsibility to disclose contents of this training program related to the off label or investigative uses of pharmaceutical agents.
- This educational activity may contain discussion of off-label usage of drugs that are not indicated by the FDA. The APNA and the American Academy of Addiction Psychiatry (AAAP) do not recommend usage of any agent outside the FDA approved/labeled indications.
Release Date: July 1, 2020 The contact hours for this session expire: March 31, 2023
*Internet Explorer is an outdated browser and therefore when using it, APNA eLearning Center courses often will not load or play properly. Because Internet Explorer is still the default browser on many devices, this is the number one issue that impacts learners’ ability to access their courses. For an uninterrupted learning experience, please download and use Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge, Safari, etc. If you continue to experience issues, you may need to update your browser.