Competency Based Training for Suicide Prevention - Prazeres - March 22, 2023
- Registration Closed
Internet Explorer does not cooperate with this site. Please see below for options that work with APNA eLearning.*
APNA Competency Based Training for Suicide Prevention
The APNA Competency Based Training for Suicide Prevention is an interactive educational activity. Leaders in the field of psychiatric-mental health nursing developed the curriculum to improve the knowledge, attitudes, skills, and critical thinking of psychiatric-mental health nurses (PMH-RN) who care for persons at risk for suicide. APNA's program content is presented by trained facilitators with content matter expertise.
The course focus emphasizes best practices and evidence-based nursing knowledge which has been shown to increase confidence in individual nursing practice and competence in the nursing skills of suicide prevention, assessment, and care management of persons at risk for suicide.
Target Audience: PMH-RN
Disclosures: The APNA planners and faculty have no relevant financial relationships to disclose. Off-label uses will not be discussed during this presentation.
Upon completion of this presentation, the participant will be able to:
- Discuss the phenomenology of suicide.
- Describe risk and protective factors related to suicide.
- Demonstrate self-awareness of emotional reactions, attitudes, and beliefs related to previous experiences with suicide.
- Perform a suicide risk assessment.
- Develop a collaborative safety plan with the patient/family.
- Perform an environmental safety assessment.
Registration: You will register for the course one time, under one account, using one email address. This account will be used to complete the post-training coursework. You will be prompted to login or create an APNA account. If you already have an APNA account and do not remember the username and password, contact APNA at 855-863-APNA (2762). Do not create a new account. New users will establish a username and password at time of registration.
Participants who register and complete all requirements of the full training receive:
- 7.0 Nursing Continuing Professional Development Contact Hours.
- Participant Workbook: Includes notes, worksheets, a glossary, resources and more.
- Suicide Prevention Provider Card: Serves as proof of successful completion of the training and passing of skills assessment.
Credit cannot be earned unless all steps below are completed. Partial credit will not be awarded.
Step 1: Prior to the Live Training
- Register with APNA for the Competency Based training. There is no on-site registration for this training.
- Download and print Participant Workbook for use at the live training.
Step 2: Attend the Live Training
- Arrive on time in order to be admitted to the course. Doors close promptly.
- Bring a printed or downloaded copy of the Participant Workbook.
- Attend the entire training (7.0 contact hours) and participate in all interactive activities.
Step 3: After the Live Training
- Earn a passing score on the Course Post-Test
- Complete the online Overall Evaluation and Honor Statement.
- The Certificate and Provider Card will be generated online and available to print immediately after completing the online components.
Nursing Continuing Professional Development:
7.0 contact hours. The Competency Based Training for Suicide Prevention is a nursing education program which includes live facilitator presentation and discussion, case study, post-test, and evaluation of the content. In order to receive nursing continuing professional development contact hours, participants must attend the entire live training and complete all required components of the course.
The contact hours for this course expire: January 31, 2025.
The American Psychiatric Nurses Association is accredited as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
APNA does not issue refunds for the registration cost of the Competency Based Training for Suicide Prevention once the purchase is accomplished. Partial credit is not available for this course. In order to participate and earn contact hours, you must arrive on time and attend the entire training.
*For an uninterrupted learning experience, please download and use Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge, Safari, etc. If you continue to experience issues, you may need to update your browser.