Competency Based Training for Suicide Prevention - 2019 - New Jersey Chapter
- Registration Closed
The Competency Based Training for Suicide Prevention is an interactive educational activity which includes a required online pre-assessment that must be completed prior to the live training. Leaders in the field of psychiatric-mental health nursing developed the curriculum to improve the knowledge, attitudes, skills, and critical thinking of psychiatric-mental health nurses (PMH-RN) who care for persons at risk for suicide. APNA's Program content is presented by trained facilitators with content matter expertise.
The course focus emphasizes best practices and evidence-based nursing knowledge which has been shown to increase confidence in individual nursing practice, competence in nursing skills of suicide prevention, assessment, and care management of persons at risk for suicide.
Target Audience: PMH-RN
Disclosures: The presenters and the activity planners have no conflicts of interest to disclose. Discussion of off-label uses will not take place during this workshop.
Upon completion of this presentation, the participant will be able to:
- Describe how the nine Psychiatric Nurse Essential Competencies for Assessment and Management of Individuals at Risk for Suicide serve to inform safe and best nursing practice, policies, procedures and system changes.
- Demonstrate a greater awareness and implementation of suicide assessment, management, prevention and safety planning within nursing practice for persons at risk for suicide.
- Apply evidence-based tools in suicide assessments, communication, documentation and writing a safety plan to enhance nursing knowledge and skills in caring for persons at risk for suicide.
Price: $90 APNA Member through August 24 then $115 / $90 Non-member through August 24 then $125 / $75 Student
Registration: You will register for the course one time, under one account, using one email address. This account will be used to complete the pre- and post-training coursework. You will be prompted to login or create an APNA account. If you already have an APNA account, you will use the same login you have already established. If you do not remember the username and password, contact APNA at 855-863-APNA (2762). New users will establish a username and password at time of registration.
Participants who register and complete all requirements of the full training receive:
- 6.5 Continuing Education Contact Hours.
- Participant Workbook: Includes notes, worksheets, a glossary, and more.
- Suicide Prevention Provider Card: Serves as proof of successful completion of the training and passing of skills assessment. Provider card is eligible for renewal upon 3 year expiration.
Program Format: Participants must complete all requirements of the full training below.
Pre-Work Online Requirement:
Pre-Training Self Assessment Survey
Live Training: Competency Based Training for Suicide Prevention
Module 1 Video (viewed in Live Session)
Module 1 Post-Test
Phenomenon of Suicide (Competency 1)
Legal & Ethical Issues (Competencies 8 & 9)
Self-awareness and the Therapeutic Relationship (Competencies 2 &3)
Comprehensive Assessment: Case Study Application (Competency 4 & 5)
Plan of Care: Case Study Application (Competency 6)
Environmental Management (Competency 7)
Updating the Safety Plan at Discharge
Discovering Discharge Needs
On-Site Skills Assessment Exam
Post Live Training: Online Completion Requirement
Post-Training Self Assessment Survey
CE Certificate (6.5 contact hours)
Continuing Nursing Education:
6.5 contact hours. The Competency Based Training for Suicide Prevention is a nursing education program which includes online faculty presentations, live facilitator presentation and discussion, case studies, post-tests and evaluations of the content. In order to receive contact hours, participants must complete all components of the course. Credit cannot be earned unless all steps below are completed. Partial credit will not be awarded.
Step 1: Prior to the live training, participants must:
1. Register with APNA for the Competency Based training.
2. Complete Pre-Training Self Assessment Survey online prior to attending Live Training.
Step 2: Live Training-participants must:
1. Arrive on time for the Live Training in order to be admitted to the course.
2. Attend the entire Live Training (6.5 contact hours) and participate in interactive activities.
3. Earn a passing grade on the on-site skills assessment. *Please bring smart phone/tablet/laptop.
Step 3: Post Live Training, participants must:
1. Complete the online Post-Training Self Assessment Survey and the Overall Evaluation.
2. The certificate will be generated online and available for participants to print immediately after completing the online components.
3. All steps MUST be completed prior to 11:59pm Eastern Time sixteen (16) days following the Live Training.
Live Training Details:
Date: September 21, 2019
Time: 8:30am - 4:00pm ET
****In order to participate and earn contact hours, you must arrive on time for the Live Training session.****
400 Cedar Avenue
West Long Branch, NJ 07764
Please note: Pre-test results will be compared to post-test results and will be used by APNA as a measure of end-of-program learning.
The American Psychiatric Nurses Association is accredited with distinction as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.
The cancellation deadline is September 7, 2019. All fees will be refunded except a $20 administrative fee. Cancellations must be submitted in writing to email@example.com. There will be no refunds after the deadline. Partial credit is not available for the course. In order to participate and earn contact hours, you must arrive on time for the Live Training session.