Competency Based Training for Suicide Prevention - Puchkors - December 18, 2019
- Registration Closed
The Competency Based Training for Suicide Prevention is an interactive educational activity which includes an online Pre-Training SelfAssessment Survey to complete prior to the Live Training. Leaders in the field of psychiatric-mental health nursing developed the curriculum to improve the knowledge, attitudes, skills, and critical thinking of psychiatric-mental health nurses (PMH-RN) who care for persons at risk for suicide. APNA's Program content is presented by trained facilitators with content matter expertise.
The course focus emphasizes best practices and evidence-based nursing knowledge which has been shown to increase confidence in individual nursing practice and competence in the nursing skills of suicide prevention, assessment, and care management of persons at risk for suicide.
Target Audience: PMH-RN
Disclosures: The presenters and the activity planners have no conflicts of interest to disclose. Discussion of off-label medication use will not take place during this training.
Learning Outcomes: Upon completion of this presentation, the participant will be able to:
- Describe how the nine Psychiatric Nurse Essential Competencies for Assessment and Management of Individuals at Risk for Suicide serve to inform safe and best nursing practice, policies, procedures and system changes.
- Demonstrate a greater awareness and implementation of suicide assessment, management, prevention and safety planning within nursing practice for persons at risk for suicide.
- Apply evidence-based tools in suicide assessments, communication, documentation and writing a safety plan to enhance nursing knowledge and skills in caring for persons at risk for suicide.
Registration: You will register for the course one time, under one account, using one email address. This account will be used to complete the pre-training and post-training coursework. You will be prompted to login or create an APNA account. If you already have an APNA account and do not remember the username and password, contact APNA at 855-863-APNA (2762). Do not create a new account. New users will establish a username and password at time of registration.
Participants who register and complete all requirements of the full training receive:
- 7.0 Nursing Continuing Professional Development Contact Hours.
- Participant Workbook: Includes notes, worksheets, a glossary, resources and more.
- Suicide Prevention Provider Card: Serves as proof of successful completion of the training and passing of skills assessment. Provider card is eligible for renewal upon 3 year expiration.
Nursing Continuing Professional Development:
7.0 contact hours. The Competency Based Training for Suicide Prevention is a nursing education program which includes live facilitator presentation and discussion, case study, post-test, and evaluation of the content. In order to receive nursing continuing professional development contact hours, participants must attend the entire live training and complete all required components of the course. Partial credit will not be awarded.Credit cannot be earned unless all steps below are completed.
Step 1: Prior to the Live Training:
- Register with APNA for the Competency Based training. Registration: You will register for the course one time, under one account, using one email address. This account will be used to complete the online components of the course. You will be prompted to login or create an APNA account. If you already have an APNA account, you will use the same login you have already established. If you do not remember the username and password, contact APNA at 855-863-APNA (2762). New users will establish a username and password at time of registration.
- Complete the online Pre-Training Self Assessment Survey.
Step 2: Attend the Live Training: Competency Based Training for Suicide Prevention
- Arrive on time for the Live Training in order to be admitted to the course.
- Attend the entire Live Training (7.0 nursing continuing professional development contact hours) and participate in interactive activities.
Step 3: After the Live Training:
- Earn a passing score on the online Course Post-Test.
- Complete the online Post-Training Self Assessment Survey and Overall Evaluation.
- The certificate will be generated online and available to print immediately after completing the online components.
- All steps MUST be completed prior to 11:59pm Eastern Time sixteen (16) days following the Live Training.
The contact hours for this course expire: January 31, 2023
The American Psychiatric Nurses Association is accredited with distinction as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
APNA does not issue refunds for the registration cost of the Competency Based Training for Suicide Prevention once the purchase is accomplished. If you are unable to complete the live training per your registration schedule, it may be possible to reschedule your registration for a training that you are able to attend. Further details regarding the cancellation policy are outlined here.