Competency Based Training for Suicide Prevention - Buzzell - October 24, 2019
- Registration Closed
The Competency Based Training for Suicide Prevention is a two-part interactive educational activity. Part 1 is an online module that must be completed prior to attending the live training (Part 2). Experts in psychiatric-mental health nursing and suicide assessment and prevention developed this curriculum to improve the knowledge, attitudes, skills, and critical thinking of psychiatric-mental health nurses (PMH-RN) who care for persons at risk for suicide. APNA's Program content is presented by trained facilitators with content matter expertise.
The course emphasizes best practices and evidence-based nursing knowledge which has been shown to increase confidence in individual nursing practice, competence in nursing skills related to suicide prevention and assessment, and care management of persons at risk for suicide.
Target Audience: PMH-RN
Disclosures: The presenters and the activity planners have no conflicts of interest to disclose.
Upon completion of this presentation, the participant will be able to:
- Describe how the nine Psychiatric Nurse Essential Competencies for Assessment and Management of Individuals at Risk for Suicide serve to inform safe and best nursing practice, policies, procedures and system changes.
- Demonstrate a greater awareness and implementation of suicide assessment, management, prevention and safety planning within nursing practice for persons at risk for suicide.
- Apply evidence-based tools in suicide assessments, communication, documentation and writing a safety plan to enhance nursing knowledge and skills in caring for persons at risk for suicide.
Registration: You will register for the course one time, under one account, using one email address. This account will be used to complete the pre-training and post-training coursework. You will be prompted to login or create an APNA account. If you already have an APNA account and do not remember the username and password, contact APNA at 855-863-APNA (2762). New users will establish a username and password at time of registration.
Participants who register and complete all requirements of the full training receive:
- 6.5 Continuing Education Contact Hours:
Certificate of Completion for online pre-work - required for access to the live training.
CE Certificate following the live training and online post-assessment and evaluation.
- Participant Workbook: Includes notes, worksheets, a glossary, and more.
- Suicide Prevention Provider Card: Serves as proof of successful completion of the training and passing of skills assessment. Provider card is eligible for renewal upon 3 year expiration.
Program Format: Participants must complete all requirements of the full training below.
Pre-Work Online Requirement: Module 1: Introduction
Pre-training Self Assessment Survey
Module 1 Video
Module 1 Post-Test
Certificate of Completion (required to attend live training)
Live Training: Competency Based Training for Suicide Prevention
Phenomenon of Suicide (Competency 1)
Legal & Ethical Issues (Competencies 8 & 9)
Self-awareness and the Therapeutic Relationship (Competencies 2 &3)
Comprehensive Assessment: Case Study Application (Competency 4 & 5)
Plan of Care: Case Study Application (Competency 6)
Environmental Management (Competency 7)
Updating the Safety Plan at Discharge
Discovering Discharge Needs
On-Site Skills Assessment Exam
Post Live Training: Online Completion Requirement
Post-Training Self Assessment Survey
CE Certificate (6.5 contact hours)
Continuing Nursing Education:
6.5 contact hours. The Competency Based Training for Suicide Prevention is a nursing education program that includes online faculty presentations, live facilitator presentation and discussion, case studies, post-tests and evaluations of the content. In order to receive contact hours, participants must complete all components of the course. Credit cannot be earned unless all steps below are completed. Partial credit will not be awarded.
Step 1: Prior to the live training, participants must:
1. Register with APNA for the Competency Based training.
2. Complete Module One online 1 week prior to live training (includes a self pre-assessment, post-test, and evaluation).
3. Retrieve Certificate of Completion at the end of Module One.
Step 2: Live Training-participants must:
1. Arrive on time for the Live Training in order to be admitted to the course.
2. Present Certificate of Completion to facilitator for access to Live Training.
3. Attend the entire Live Training (6.5 contact hours) and participate in interactive activities.
4. Earn a passing grade on the on-site skills assessment.
Step 3: Post Live Training, participants must:
1. Complete the online Post-Training Self Assessment Survey and the overall training evaluation.
2. The certificate will be generated online and available for participants to print immediately after completing the online components.
3. All steps MUST be completed prior to 11:59pm Eastern Time sixteen (16) days following the live training.
Please note: Pre-test results will be compared to post-test results and will be used by APNA as a measure of end-of-program learning.
The contact hours for this course expire: December 15, 2019
The American Psychiatric Nurses Association is accredited with distinction as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.
APNA does not issue refunds for the registration cost of the Competency Based Training for Suicide Prevention once the purchase is accomplished. If you are unable to complete the online and live training per your registration schedule, it may be possible to reschedule your registration for a training that you are able to attend. Further details regarding the cancellation policy are outlined here.