Competency Based Training for Suicide Prevention - Buzzell - June 9, 2022
- Registration Closed
For an uninterrupted learning experience, please use Google Chrome, Safari or Firefox as your browser. If you use Internet Explorer, you may not be able to view or access parts of this course.*
The Competency Based Training for Suicide Prevention is an interactive educational activity. Leaders in the field of psychiatric-mental health nursing developed the curriculum to improve the knowledge, attitudes, skills, and critical thinking of psychiatric-mental health nurses (PMH-RN) who care for persons at risk for suicide. APNA's Program content is presented by trained facilitators with content matter expertise.
The course focus emphasizes best practices and evidence-based nursing knowledge which has been shown to increase confidence in individual nursing practice and competence in the nursing skills of suicide prevention, assessment, and care management of persons at risk for suicide.
Target Audience: PMH-RN
Disclosures: The presenters and the activity planners have no conflicts of interest to disclose. Discussion of off-label medication use will not take place during this training.
Learning Outcomes: Upon completion of this presentation, the participant will be able to:
- Discuss the phenomenology of suicide.
- Describe risk and protective factors related to suicide.
- Demonstrate self-awareness of emotional reactions, attitudes, and beliefs related to previous experiences with suicide.
- Perform a suicide risk assessment.
- Develop a collaborative safety plan with the patient/family.
- Perform an environmental safety assessment.
*An additional facilitator fee of $70 will be collected at the Live Training for attendees not covered under the Pine Rest group order. This fee is collected by the facilitator directly and is not associated with APNA.
Registration: You will register for the course one time, under one account, using one email address. This account will be used to complete the post-training coursework. You will be prompted to login or create an APNA account. If you already have an APNA account and do not remember the username and password, contact APNA at 855-863-APNA (2762). Do not create a new account. New users will establish a username and password at time of registration.
Participants who register and complete all requirements of the full training receive:
- 7.0 Nursing Continuing Professional Development Contact Hours.
- Participant Workbook: Includes notes, worksheets, a glossary, resources and more.
- Suicide Prevention Provider Card: Serves as proof of successful completion of the training and passing of skills assessment. Provider card is eligible for renewal upon 3 year expiration.
Nursing Continuing Professional Development:
7.0 contact hours. The Competency Based Training for Suicide Prevention is a nursing education program which includes live facilitator presentation and discussion, case study, post-test, and evaluation of the content. In order to receive nursing continuing professional development contact hours, participants must attend the entire live training and complete all required components of the course. Partial credit will not be awarded. Credit cannot be earned unless all steps below are completed.
Step 1: Prior to the Live Training:
- Register with APNA for the Competency Based training. There is no on-site registration for this training.
Step 2: Attend the Live Training: Competency Based Training for Suicide Prevention
- Arrive on time for the Live Training in order to be admitted to the course.
- Attend the entire Live Training (7.0 nursing continuing professional development contact hours) and participate in interactive activities.
Step 3: After the Live Training:
- Earn a passing score on the online Course Post-Test.
- Complete the online Overall Evaluation and Honor Statement.
- The certificate will be generated online and available to print immediately after completing the online components.
- All steps MUST be completed prior to 11:59pm Eastern Time sixteen (16) days following the Live Training.
The contact hours for this course expire: January 31, 2023
The American Psychiatric Nurses Association is accredited as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
APNA does not issue refunds for the registration cost of the Competency Based Training for Suicide Prevention once the purchase is accomplished. If you are unable to complete the live training per your registration schedule, it may be possible to reschedule your registration for a training that you are able to attend. Further details regarding the cancellation policy are outlined here.
*Internet Explorer is an outdated browser and therefore when using it, APNA eLearning Center courses often will not load or play properly. Because Internet Explorer is still the default browser on many devices, this is the number one issue that impacts learners’ ability to access their courses. For an uninterrupted learning experience, please download and use Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge, Safari, etc. If you continue to experience issues, you may need to update your browser.